grade 8: Debut CD Review
grade 8: Debut CD Review
Grade8 is: Ryan Tooker, Vocals. Dustin Tooker, Guitars. Guy Couturier, Bass. Scotty ‘Kanikki’ Carneghi, Drums.
Where do they come from?-The Tooker Brothers are from New Jersey, but the band formed in LA.
What a fucking amazing first cd! Grade 8 has a sound that is like Slayer, Rage Against the Machine, and Pearl Jam in a WWE King of the Ring match. Do not compare them to fucking Korn and the metal hip hop thing, they are not about the fucking darkness falling-grade 8’s style is better compared to the first heavy band to do it successfully, Rage Against The Machine. When Rage came out, they were fresh-so is grade 8. Grade 8 is power-pure and raw. –Ryan Tooker has a set of pipes that I am sure he has to oil with WD40 every night. On this cd, he carries off melody, traditional hard core, and screaming rap. I would compare his voice to Korn’s Jonathan Davis, Ice T, and Englebert fucking Humperdink tossed into a hot tub. –Dustin Tooker hooks you in with guitar riffs that will burn your skin if you stand to close to him. You better start banging your fucking head when you listen to him. How does he do that while backing Ryan’s vocals the whole fucking time? He is a magic man. –Guy Couturier plays his bass like a war drum. They make more than clack and watches in Switzerland. His playing will make you want to get off your ass and jump around. –Kanikki, bang those drums. He just ties it all together into one package and makes you want MORE. More, like the last beer at closing time. -I love heavy music. I love heavy music that carries an upbeat message without being too fucking preachy even more.
1. Brick By Brick: You can face anything if you just take it one step at a time. Don’t look at the big picture; just face the next thing in front of you. Take it one piece at a time and you won’t get swamped over by a tidal wave.
2. Headcase: Everybody crawls into their heads and hides beneath the sheets every now and again. Sometimes, you just can’t answer the phone and get out of bed. How do you make it stop? Grab your remote and play track 2. Ryan understands your pain.
3. One Wish: Have you ever wanted anything so badly, got it, and it was a fucking disappointment? Sometimes, you go after some guy or girl to love with all you have-and it turns out that you just met their fucking representative and not who they really are. What they turn out to be is a lying, two-timing piece of shit.
4. Adrenachrome: Isn’t a bitch being in the same old rut? It is hard to get out of the same old fucking routine. Just do it. Do anything different. Eat your meal backwards, start with the dessert. Get up before noon. Empty your ashtray.
5. Get It Out: Let it out or you will fucking DIE. Bottling things up will cause cancer and severe mental illness. Keeping shit inside kills people. Keeping it inside will make YOU be the one we read about in the morning papers. Don’t be the headline, just scream.
6. Empire Falls: Everybody knows somebody that grew up in a house full of drunks. This song talks about that. It is not a whiny ‘oh poor fucking me’ song. It is simply a statement about feeling lonely and afraid. What destroys a family-disease.
7. Let Em Know: This song is the perfect introduction to grade 8. They aren’t about the corporate thing and the buck, they are just about playing some damn good heavy music. I think that this should be the first single off of the cd.
8. Chances: Sometimes it is better just to walk away from a bad thing. Walk out of the party where the piles of coke are. Put down the needle. Give up the evil girlfriend. You have to take care of yourself baby, you are all that you have.
9. Deal With It: It is a bitch to face your demons inside. Everybody has shit that they would rather not take a look at, but there is only one answer to all that shit you hide deep down inside-deal with it. If you don’t, nothing is ever going to change.
10. Frozen: What do you do when you wake up and realize you are living with a goddamn drunk? Maybe you should grab the bottle and join them. Maybe you should throw them out. Maybe the shock is so great that you can’t do a fucking thing but stand there.
11. Smoke N’ Mirrors: So you try to talk to the goddamn drunk, but only lies come out. This person is playing a con game with you, and you are coming out of your coma and catching on.
12. Another Day To Celebrate: I NEVER thought I would hear this old classic delivered in such a hot fucking way. I think this is the way this song should have been originally done after listening to it seven times on this cd.
Grade 8 is on OZZFEST 2003. I think they will fucking rock the house. Grade 8 sings about your life, and that makes them absolutely perfect for MusicIncider. Their music makes you feel better about evil shit. In this day and age, a band that does that is a fucking necessity.
Grade 8 has a meaning and a message-and it is for you.